Asbestos123

Asbestos Removal

If you are considering asbestos removal then the first thing that you need to understand is that you must not do it yourself. While many peoples first instinct upon spotting something dangerous within their home is to remove it, removing asbestos yourself is incredibly dangerous. I will now outline a few facts about asbestos and asbestos removal so that should you find it in your home, you will have a better understanding of what to do.

What is Asbestos and why is it in so many buildings?

I will start by simply outlining what it is. In scientific terms it is a compound of silicon, hydrogen, oxygen that naturally occurs within various rock formations including those in the UK. It was commonly used in the past in the manufacturing of buildings. The reason it was used so extensively was that it does have some very positive qualities. It is incredibly durable and it is resistant of many things. For a start, it insulates very well against heat, is pretty much fire proof and neither noise nor electricity can easily pass through it, it is even used to protect against both corrosion and vermin. For many years, its negative consequences were not known and therefore it was used in the majority of buildings.

How dangerous is Asbestos?

It is estimated that there are now around 3000 deaths in the UK each year that were caused by exposure to asbestos. The catch is however all those dieing now were likely to have been exposed decades ago as the fatal diseases that exposure causes take a long time to develop. These diseases include lung cancer and mesothelioma. Now that the danger is all too well known, there are endless regulations in place preventing its use and governing how existing asbestos is used. However there is little that can be done about asbestos that is hidden and that people are unaware of. Therefore people often unexpectedly discover it and that is when experts in asbestos removal need to be contacted.

Why can't I handle asbestos removal myself?

The reason that it is important that you do not use it yourself is that the means by which people are exposed is that when disturbed particles break off and float into the air. They are invisible to the naked eye and light enough to remain in the air for some time. These particles do not break off for no reason; therefore provided it is left alone until you contact asbestos removal experts, you are not in any real danger. It is sometimes even considered safer to leave it where it is and ensure that it cannot be disturbed in the future. There are many companies that specialize in asbestos removal and they can not only handle the situation for you but also provide any additional information that you may need. The most important thing to do is to simply not touch it and contact them as soon as possible. All companies can easily be found online.

Back to Top